2015 Home Tour
Celebrating: Broadway Boulevard Regency Court & S. 7th Street
36 Regency Court
The Chaney Family
- The lot on Regency Court was originally part of the Hathaway Village Development Corporation and was purchased by Belle Homes who build the two-story house there in 1968. As a result, this is one of the youngest homes to be featured on the Home Tour in over a decade. (The home is younger than most of the Tour committee!)
- Everette and Marilyn Stapleton were the home’s first owners. It was passed down to a variety of owners until it was acquired in 1999 by the Wells Fargo Bank as trustees of the property.
- In 2008 it was purchased by Ryan White, a contractor, with the idea of renovating it before deciding to put it on the market.
- When Liz and Mike Chaney purchased the property it had been vacant for a number of years. Despite problems with hungry squirrels, blocked sewer lines and overgrown foliage, the Chaney’s have transformed their home into the showplace it is today.
559 W. Broadway
The Dodd Family
Jeannie Behm , Designer
- The lot at 559 West Broadway was deeded to Sallie B. Shaffer by Miami Realty Company for the sum of $1 on Nov. 10, 1916 with the stipulation that she “shall not construct a dwelling of less than 5 rooms nor a cost of less than $2,000.
- Mrs.Shaffer later deeded the house to her twin daughters, Lilla Hatton and Anna
- In 1931, the house was deeded to Anna Shaffer alone. Anna was the first librarian in Tipp City.
- The 7 room, 1 bath house remained virtually unchanged until 1983 when owner, Janice Lee, added a garage at the back of the lot.
- In 1985 a garage was added. This consisted of a bath, a great room with cathedral ceiling and skylights, a dining area near the bay window, a large stone fireplace equipped to hold a iron pot for cooking over the fire and a wood box.
- Barbara Finfrock purchased the home in 1994 and sold to Timothy Bailey in 1998.
- In 2010 the home was purchased and is presently owned by Jerry and Jane Dodd who have done much in the way of restoration and repair.
550 W. Broadway
The Begley Home
- Mrs. Nellie Herr, who was very active in the community and liked having her photograph taken in places that featured her beloved Tippecanoe’s landscape, sold the land to Mr. Tom Brayshaw in July 1927 to build a home. Nellie imposed several stipulations on the sale including:
- House must have 5 rooms and cost more than $3,000.
- House cannot be located closer than 25 feet from the street
- House cannot have a tight board fence or a fence higher than 4 feet.
- House cannot be used as a business.
- House cannot be used by, or sold to, minorities.
Tom was only 24 years old when he purchased the land. A graduate from the Miami University in Oxford, he served as our Postmaster for many years. His family lived in the home until November 1968.
- Mark & Joan Kaup then purchased the home. They remodeled the kitchen and had the front landscaped by Vocke Nursey. At the time, Bill and Virginia Vocke lived two doors away. The Kaup’s raised four children that would campout in the screened in porch during the summer. Later, the kids were rumored to smoke Marlboro “Lights” cigarettes in the attic! Today, Marlboro Gold is a re-branded version of Marlboro Lights. The Kaup’s lived in the home for many years and, eventually, moved to Virginia Beach.
- Ann Miller purchased the home in August 1989. She enclosed the porch for her beloved cats. Ann sold the home to the current owner, Ms. Diana Begley a decade later.
541 W. Broadway
The Hoover Home
David Fair, Designer
- In 1915 the Miami Realty Company purchased the area between Hyatt Street and a field at what is now Rohrer Drive. The area included Dow Street, Broadway Street and Horton Avenue. This area was called Grandview.
- In 1919 Newton and Cecil Anderson purchased Lot # 984 (541 W. Broadway) for $2,600. There was a stipulation on the 1919 deed that said the house was to be of no less than 5 rooms and at a cost of at least $2,000. It also stipulated the premises shall never be sold to, or occupied by a colored person, nor shall the house be used for doing business. The house was a craftsman style bungalow, probably a mail order blueprint. The original house had a stone foundation which is up to three feet wide at the base. The porch also has stone pillars. The basement had a coal furnace with a coal cellar. The first floor was made up of a living room, dining room, small kitchen and kitchen porch. The second floor had 3 bedrooms and a bathroom with a cast iron bathtub. The garage was original with the house. It may have been a carriage house, and at some time a low addition was built to allow a car to pull forward and fit inside. In 1920, a postcard shows only four houses on the boulevard.
- In 1924, Rachel Mathews purchased the home for $3,000.
- The house was sold to Marion Mason in 1937. Marion worked in the Tippecanoe City post office.
- Richard Brummit purchased the property in 1948. Alva and Jeanie Parsons were the next owners in 1954. Alva had his insurance business in the dining room. It was during this time that neighbor Harold Shearer built the fireplace on the East side. George Flory came next when he bought the house in 1960.
- Next came Neal and Karen Sonnastine in 1964. Victoria Francis acquired the house in 1972 and only lived there for one year.
- Tipp City teachers, Scott and Elaine Hoover, purchased the property in 1973, moving in on Saturday, October 27, during the Ohio State/Michigan football game. The house had always been painted white. Scott painted the house green in 1975. In 1988 the double driveway was constructed. Windows were replaced in 1989 and gray siding was added. In 1992 the Hoovers built an addition that doubled the size of the house and added a half bath, extended kitchen, and a family room. Upstairs a master bedroom and bathroom were built. The current patio was built in 1992 after the addition. In 2006 the southeast bedroom was gutted and turned into a Shaker inspired bedroom using Shaker antiques. A 2010 remodel of the upstairs bathroom in the original part of the house incorporated the old cast iron bathtub. The Hoovers had the old knob and tube electrical service replaced in 2013. In 2015 a kitchen remodel used granite countertops and new appliances. A new stairway and wood floor was added to the master bedroom. Scott and Elaine have decorated with antiques using Shaker furniture and artifacts. They also have many Red Wing crocks, bowls and pottery. Elaine displays her ironstone dishes and quilts in three large cupboards. The downstairs bathroom is decorated with Indian souvenirs. Some of the interesting aspects of the house are the porch mailbox located in the post that used to be used for milk delivery. There is an interesting wood floor design in the original house. The stone hitching post was added in 2001 to the curb lawn. There is an architectural star located on the north side on the top of the second floor. You can see an inside window between the stairway and the addition. It was decided to leave the octagonal outside window inside.
537 W. Broadway
The Blake Home
Sharon Bledsoe, Designer
- Built in 1932, the Blake home is an excellent example of the bungalow style homes popular in that era. This home offers influences of both the California and Craftsman style bungalows. Located on “the boulevard”, one of the more prestigious areas of the town at the time, the home originally had three bedrooms, a living room, a dining room and a kitchen. An addition in 1995 added a master bedroom and a full bath to the main floor. The home also has a full basement, partially finished.
Amy, who is a native of Pittsburgh, and her sons took over residency of this charming home in 2011. The home is warm and inviting with a comfortable living room featuring an open staircase and a fireplace. Typical of the era, the home has several unique features such as the built in book case in the living room. When asked what they liked about their home, her sons said they liked the location as well as the size. The family, who had lived in another much larger home in Tipp, prefers the coziness and “non-open concept” of this home.
Amy says she has done mainly cosmetic things to the home, including painting and the welcoming landscaping. Though the rest of the home is carpeted and tiled, the dining room features wood flooring. It boasts large windows, which let in a large amount of natural sunlight, and a built in corner china cabinet. The furnishings and overhead lighting beckon back to a by-gone era.
This highly efficient kitchen showcases a charming breakfast nook with bench seating. A comfortable place to gather for breakfast while enjoying the landscaped back yard from the window or sharing an evening meal and discussing the day’s events, the space invites you to join in! Amy says another unique feature of the home is the mailbox which is built into the front porch. Look and see if you can find it!
536 W. Broadway
The Dowd/Kuntz Home
Ashley Powell Designer
This house was built in 1926. It was plated in 1919 in an area called Grandview.
The Dowd/Kuntz Family are the 6th family to reside at 536 West Broadway. The architectural style is Dutch Colonial Revival that was popular in the early 1900s. The steep slopped roof contains two dormer windows.
This house was on the Christmas Tour in 2009. The family had by this time added a cozy room off the kitchen that is used as a family room. Finished the attic space into a bedroom and the basement was also finished. They had lived here for eleven years at that time.
In May of 2014, another remodel was done. An addition was added to the east side of the house. This changed the dining room to a much larger room. The kitchen was totally redesigned. The half bath also had a shower added. This change was so professionally done that the home looks as if it has always been this way.
The detached garage has a finished room upstairs that is being used as a studio.
The house is certainly a home that welcomes you with its warmth and appeal.
524 W. Broadway
The Jones Family
Winnie cleavenger, Designer
- The home at 524 was built in 1926, the same year a detached frame garage was added. It sits on 0.195acres. Points of interest in the house include the attractive fireplace in the living room, hardwood floors throughout the house, and French doors that lead to a formal garden with a pond. Also of interest is a stained glass light fixture, located in the dining room. It is not original to the house but was made in a Yellow Springs glass studio. The slate roof is the original from 1926.
- Terence and Lauryne Jones purchased the home in 2004. He is from England and she is from Chicago. They have been married fifty-two years. They have four adult children, two of which live in Tipp City.
- They had new windows and siding installed. They sold one third of the west side lot to the neighbors so they could add a downstairs bathroom to their home. They have had an extensive amount of landscaping done, adding a pergola to the back of the house, where there is a pond and beautiful gardens. They have planted grape vines to form a natural shade cover over the pergola during summer.
522 W. Broadway
The Stith Home
Stephanie Etter, Designer
- West Broadway Boulevard is a tree-lined, picturesque street, and 522 is one of its notable homes.
- The neighborhood was platted for development and incorporated into Tippecanoe City prior to 1916, but not developed as Grand View until @ 1930.
- In 1929, Ruth Green Keen purchased lot 999 and part of 998 from the Claude Coppock Trust and built the home in 1931.
- In 1947 Ms. Keen deeded 522 West Broadway to Jay and Josephine Neff who owned it until 1965.
- Thomas and Alexa McGrady bought it in 1965. The McGrady Family lived there over four decades
- In 2009 when Mashell Carmack Pence Stith purchased it. The Stith family have done updating and decorating to meet their family needs. The spacious four-bedroom home features antique door hardware, original hardwood floors, crown molding, a wood-burning fireplace , and built-ins to create a gracious Holiday and year-round setting.
500 W Dow Street
The Gross Home
Abby Dahlinghaus, Designer
- H. Bryant, who died in 1911, originally owned the 9.26 acre tract (see map) that became Grand View.
- In 1915, Ralph Crist and Harvey Wilson purchased the tract from the Bryant estate and formed the Miami Realty Company.
- The Miami Realty Company subdivided the 9.26 acres in to 55 lots (967 – 1022) for development. Ellis Kerr did the legal work, meeting with Mayor Frank Smith and the City Council.
- On December 9, 1916, Florence and Henry Beyl purchased lots 967 and 968 (adjacent) and built this home, which was originally 504 West Dow Street.
- Grand View encompassed the south side of Dow Street between Hyatt and Rohrer Drive, both sides of Broadway between Hyatt and Rohrer, and the north side of Horton between Rohrer and Hyatt (see map).
- Lot 968 next door remained vacant until two homes were added to the west in the early 1960s and this home’s address was changed from 504 to 500.
- 1917 taxes were $30.00 for the house lot and $3 for the vacant lot next door.
- In 1941, Wilma Armstrong Cline and spouse, Clyde, purchased the home. Wilma ran the Tipp Fashion Shop for many years.
- In 1949, Wilma’s brother, Robert Armstrong, purchased the home, selling it to Ralph Herr in 1955.
- Ralph Herr sold the home to the present owners, Brad and Patti Gross, in 1993.
117 S. Seventh Street
The Grant/Tab Home
Monica Harris, Designer
The home at 117 S. Seventh Street sits on lot # 395 originally owned by John Saunders in 1870. Saunders sold the property to Rebecca Motter in 1871 and John Motter built the home that sits there today.
- Rebecca Motter: 1871-1892
- Jacob Sinks: 1892-1910
- Perry Sinks: 1910-1929
- Theodore Sinks: 1929-1929
- Florence Davis Canby: 1929-1935
- Ray & Frances Jackson: 1935-1937
- Clyde Staup & Elizabeth Jackson Staup &: 1937-2000
- Gregory & Kelly Coffield: 2000-2003
- Andrew & Virginia Stewart: 2003-2003
- Meggan Trimmer: 2003-2005
- Greg & Celeste Mackenzie: 2005-2006
- Tab Lankford & Michael Grant: 2006-Present
Significant Other Use of Home:
Elizabeth Jackson Staup, known as Bettie Staup, opened the Jack & Jill Play School in her home at 117 S. Seventh Street, on October 5th, 1953. This was the first pre-school in Tipp City. Bettie operated the school until June 1967. Hours of operation were Monday thru Thursday from 9 to 11 AM. Fees were $2.00 per week.