2016 Home Tour
Celebrating: Second Street
26 South Second St
The Group Home
Ashley Powell, Designer
- The property at 26 East Dow has had a long and varied history. In 1854 S.C. Morrison acquired the land from T. Line and Thomas Jay for the sum of $358. The existing home was built in 1862.
- During its existence the house has had a number of owners. In 1906 Wilmer and Grace Staley purchased the property from Allie Sheets, widow of Thomas Sheets. The Staley family were early settlers, coming to Ohio in 1805. Wilmer Staley, president of Amole Soap and co-publisher of The Herald was a car enthusiast. Seeking a two-seater car for his family of five, he purchased a Winton. Traveling to Cleveland, he drove to the car to Urbana where the family was living in three days at a speed of 12.1 mph. Housed in the carriage house when the family purchased the home at 26 East Dow, the first motorized vehicle in Tippecanoe City was a source of fascination to neighborhood children who peeked through the windows to catch glimpses of the wonder. In 1937 the Staley’s Winton was taken to a Dearborn, Michigan museum. It is the only existing example of a Winton.
- The Staley’s son Allen, an engineering graduate of Purdue and Yale, was a pioneer in the emergent automotive industry. Besides drawing up plans for a better steam automobile power plant, he was greatly responsible for the development of automotive air conditioning and a pioneer in turbine technology.
- A number of stories are associated with the house. At the time the Staley family lived in the house, it had an accessed value of over four thousand dollars falling off dramatically when in the 1950’s the home was sold for ‘$1.00 and other good and valuable considerations.’ One owner is said to have been a pharmacist who dispended prescriptions from the front room of the house. In the 1970’s the house was subdivided into three apartments before being converted back into a single-family home.
- Current owners Chad and Melanie Group formerly lived on Dow Street and had long admired the stately house. Talking the opportunity to tour it on a whim when it was up for sale in 2014, Melanie was immediately struck by the feeling the house was meant to be their family home.
- Closing on the house in March 2015 began a seven-month process of making it into a livable dwelling. It was necessary to replace the plumbing and electrical work in addition to the heating and cooling systems. Every wall and ceiling is brand new. The original kitchen was unworkable and a new kitchen was created in the center of the home where it opens onto other rooms. An oak stairway leads upstairs where a laundry room has been added with an on-demand water system.
372 N. Second Street
The Booher Home
Anne Rettig , Designer
- First records found of the lot show it was owned by Elizabeth Herzanrether in 1910 and later became part of the J. W. Ford addition.
- The home was built in 1946 by Hobe and Mary Massie. Steve and Laurel Booher purchased the home in 1998 and rented it out until 2011. (Tenants Michael and Shelly Viau opened the house for the 2000 Christmas Home Tour.)
- Tim and Dian Thornbury rented the house during the extensive 5-year remodeling project that began in 2005. Three distinct sections were added: (1) a new garage; (2) a new sun room in the back of the house; and (3) a new master bedroom and bath on the first floor. The porch was expanded, the kitchen completely remodeled along with the basement and upstairs rooms. Steve and Laurel designed all of the landscaping and remodeling plans.
- The backyard was originally part of a wide water turn-around for canal boats in the last half of the 1800s. Later the back yard became a dump. Steve redesigned the topography, planted all the landscaping and installed a small koi pond in the backyard. He, along with Tim Thornbury and Ronnie Fitch, did all of the framing and construction work on a part time basis. The detailed planning is evident in the transformation of this two bedroom one bath house to its current state.
310 N. Second Street
The Jaros Home
- The home of The Jaros Family was built in 1893 and deeded to Emma Dimmet and A. M. Heckler. Other owners were Demmit, Hadlock and Sayre. The original home consisted of a living room, dining room, two bedrooms and a porch.
- The home was owned by Willie and Elmer Sayre from 1962 to 1994. Elmer built the two car garage that sits on the north side of the home near the back of the lot.
- Frank and Mary Ann Jaros bought the house in 1994 and Mary Ann had the porch enclosed so her husband could enjoy looking outside and enjoy nature. They also remodeled the kitchen and added a deck to the south side of the home.
- The home is charming and beautifully decorated in “Americana”. The magnificent original wooden floor boards are the beautiful
231 N. Second Street
The Keller Home
Randy Lukin, Designer
- This late Victorian style home has been owned by The Kellar Family since 2012, and they are the 14th owner of the house.
- Official records show the house being built in 1920, though there is other documentation that shows the house being at least from 1910. The original owner of the house was Nathan Buckles, and the house was in the Buckles family for nearly 30 years.
- The kitchen has been completely remodeled, and while new and modern, it flows well into the dining room and living room. Both of those rooms have original woodwork, which has been faithfully restored.
- Decorated in a traditional style, it features oak floors downstairs, pine plank floors upstairs, and natural woodwork of pine and walnut. The upstairs bathroom has also been renovated.
131 S. Second Street
The Nave Home
Abby Connell, Designer
- The Nave’s vernacularly styled frame home was built in 1899. Lorin Coppock (1871-1946) of the later Coppock, Lee and Rousseau funeral director business, and his wife Alice Knight Coppock were the home’s first inhabitants.
- The carriage house at the back of the property was constructed simultaneously. Wooden coffins were stored in the capacious loft, lowered by rope out the second story loft opening to a waiting horse-drawn conveyance below.
- Mr. Coppock utilized the carriage house for his enterprise until he moved his operation to the 400 block of W. Main St. in 1918, a larger Queen Ann style home that still exists.
- This South Second Street home was originally heated by a coal furnace. The raised platform for the heavy furnace still exists in the basement. The mitered window well, which served as the coal chute, is still visible on one interior basement wall.
- Original floor register gratings remain in the living, dining and kitchen areas respectively. The exposed wooden flooring throughout the home is also indigenous.
- The back bathroom area off the kitchen was added by the Nave’s in the 1960’s. The circular portion of the front porch must have been added after 1906 as a postcard from this time does not include this feature.
- Most funerals prior to 1906 took place in churches or people’s private homes. Thus, the front porch addition may reflect Mr. Coppock’s creation of a mourner’s seating area outside when the home doubled as a residence and a funeral parlor.
- The home was sold to the Leonard family at the end of WWI. The Leonards and their children continued to own the property until 1955.
- Martha Hoover sold the home to Julian and Joyce Nave on August 9, 1967. The Naves and their porogeny have lived in the house ever since.
124 N. Second Street
The Hill Home
Jane Barlow, Designer
- Lot for this home was platted in 1865 but house wasn’t built until 1888
- Current owner is Deborah Hill, who moved in May of this year
- Deborah has been busy adding per personal touches to the home, including bright colors, as seen in the purple front door
- Hardwood floors had been refinished prior to the sale
- Kitchen, bath, and windows all updated
- Deborah has plans to landscape the backyard in the next year
- Enjoys living in a small town, being able to walk downtown and to work
- Deborah is a world traveler, having been to Europe, China, Hong Kong, Guatemala, and Buenos Aries at Christmas time
- You will see mementos from her travels mingled with the Soroptomist-sponsored Ohio decorations
217 N. Second Street
The Wellbaum/Weideman Home
John P. Stuart, Designer
This solidly made home, built prior to 1898, was originally a square structure with a stone foundation and small shed in back.
What can be verified is that in 1899, Henry W. Retter (1843-1924) purchased the property from a local furniture making firm, the Tipp Building and Manufacturing Company, for $850. In 1906, Henry sold the home to his daughter Anne (1874-1951) and her husband Edward “Benjamin” Snell (1873-1932) for $1,500. Ben and Anne later sold it to George J. Smith in 1911, for $1,300.
Five years later, on July 17, 1916, Mr. and Mrs. Smith were visiting his brother Peter in Vandalia. Also visiting that day was brother Alex Smith of Bryan, Texas. Sadly, the family visit ended tragically. George and his wife were killed directly in front of Peter’s farmhouse when the Dayton & Troy (D&T) Interurban hit their Saxon automobile in which they were riding, rolling the car over and over for nearly 100 feet and throwing the elderly couple to the side of the tracks. Apparently the couple failed to hear the approaching Interurban. It is said that Peter called to George that the Interurban was coming, but was not heard. The accident occurred near Stop 16, a half mile north of Vandalia. Alex, Peter and his wife Lucy, along with the assistance of Interurban passengers and crew carried the bodies to the barn near the house but, after a couple of hours, they succumbed to their injuries. After the accident, the home passed down to Peter and remained in the Smith family for three generations, until 1983.
Over the next three decades, the house changed hands several times from Dottie Vance (1983) Lynnette Mohler (1987), Steven Staub (1993), Fred and Sarah Gillenwater (2002), and Dennis Henson and Rita Cottrell (2004). Dennis and Rita updated the landscape with splendid perennials and exotic trees.
In 2012, Heather Bailey and Frank Scenna bought the home and replaced the dilapidated shed with a new carriage house. Walter Burton built the carriage house, which he designed to match the home’s architectural lines. Heather and Frank also updated the kitchen including a new and larger bay window, which gives a splendid view of the lovely back yard.
110 S. Second Street
The Curtis Home
Monica Harris, Designer
- The area was platted in 1847 by John Clark and Thomas Jay, the house sits on Lot # 64 (52’ by 152’). There have been many owners of Lot #64 over the years. Uriah Favorite owned the property from 1874 until 1923. The house was probably built by Uriah sometime between 1874 and 1885; 1885 is when it first showed up on the property tax evaluation. The tax evaluation indicated that the lot was valued at $780, the house at $1,750, and the barn at $50, for a total value of $2,580.
Uriah Favorite is one of the locals featured in Susan Furlong’s book, Legendary Locals of Tippecanoe to Tipp City. Uriah enlisted in the Union Army during the Civil War and was a member of the Secret Service. After the war, Uriah worked at the glucose factory as a chemist, and then as its superintendent.
Despite John Clark’s preference for brick homes, the house was a wooden frame, one family home. Probably in the late 1930’s – early 1940’s, the house was sided with asbestos shingles. Sears and Roebuck began selling the shingles in 1937 – they were touted to be easy to maintain, could be painted, and were fire resistant. The house was divided into a two-family home, somewhere between 1958 and 2001.