2017 Home Tour

Celebrating:  Third – Fourth – Main – Walnut & Plum Streets

121 W. Main Street

The Newsome Office

David Fair, Designer

Phone: 937.335.3596
Fax: 937.335.3596

301 Public Square
Troy, Ohio 45373

Website:  www.davidfairinteriors.com

Home History
  • Built in 1853 by the Union Theological Seminary in Dayton
  • Has three full stories and 4,400 sq ft of living space
  • A highlight is the spiral staircase with original woodwork and banisters
  • Was long known as “The Mattie Crane House” Ms. Crane’s father-in-law purchased the home from the Seminary in a sheriff’ sale in 1891 and moved the home top Tipp City
  • Mattie inherited the house in 1916 and lived here until her death in 1968 at age 96
  • In 1980 Jim Gagnet (gahn-yay’) purchased the home and did extensive renovation
  • Red and Marti Newsome purchased the home in 2009 and turned it into their real estate office
  • They’ve heard many stories about the house including the third  floor being used as a secret gambling place with a lookout placed to watch for the police

120 W. Main Street

The Rambeau CPA Office

Jane Barlow , Designer

adaptations@yahoo.com  c: 937-974-5606

Home History
  • Early history is not known, but the house is believed to have been built around 1900, when the town was still named Tippecanoe City
  • Records show that Clifford and Bonnie Fritzsche lived here in the 1950’s
  • Son Roland was a star athlete in high school and went on to play sports at Miami of Florida
  • Following his college graduation, Roland moved to Michigan however, he moved back into the family  home in 1995 and undertook numerous renovation projects, including a new kitchen and a rear patio
  • Sue & Tim Rambeau purchased the home in 2008 for the location of Sue’s CPA office
  • The exterior has recently been repainted from a Christmas green color to a soothing soft gray

114 W. Main Street

The Trzeciak Home

Randy Luken & Ashley Powell, Designer


Luken Interiors
2272 W. Schantz Ave.
Dayton, OH 45409
(937) 299-7556
Fax (937) 299-9911


Home History
  • Built by Lewis Sheets, whose goal was to build the tallest and biggest home with the larges porch in Tippecanoe City
  • The 1930’s owners Noah and Bertha Yount added rooms so local female school teachers could board there
  • Bertha forbade Noah to stay in the main part of the house, probably due to the presence of the single women, so he entered through an entrance off the alley to rooms in the basement
  • the home had several other owners before Adam & Amy Blake purchased it in 1999 and did extensive renovation, including matching the exterior colors to the original ones
  • The current  owners are James and Andi Trzeciak, who moved in three years ago.  They were attracted by the character and quality materials of the historic home that has been well loved by families for 122 years.

100 W. Main Street

The Miller Home

Diana Begley, Designer


Diana Begley Interiors

kinbeg@gmail.com c: 937-974-3986


Home History
  • Built around 1905 as a single-family home
  • Was converted into a duplex around 20 years later and served as HUD housing at one time
  • Both sides underwent extensive renovation in 2009 when Frank Scenna and Heather Bailey purchased the house
  • Current tenant is Dr. John Miller who worked with the owners in the final prep for their first six-month tenant in this side.  
  • Heather & Frank have continued to work on restoration selecting period carpeting , kitchen appliances, and bathroom tile
  • Of particular notice are the “tin ” ceilings in the living room, dining room and side area.  They are made with former Dayton Daily News print plates

19 W Walnut Street

The Lee Home

Jennifer Grube, Designer
Home History
  • Stands on lot #210, one of the original lots plotted by Tippecanoe City’s founder, John Clark
  • Lot was sold twice before V.W. Dust bought it in 1858
  • He and Lucinda Dust built the house between 1860 and 1865
  • In 1907, the house was sold to Marion Jackson for the grand total of $500
  • It is currently owned by James and Sharon Lee, but the home has been owned by the Lee family for more than 40 years.
  • James grew up in the home, as his family moved here in 1974 when James was a freshman in high school
  • James and Sharon have done extensive renovation both inside and out
  • They like living so close the everything happening downtown, and they also like the neighborhood

21 E Walnut Street

The Alvarado Home

Sharon Bledsoe, Designer

sbdesigns212@hotmail.com  c: 937-572-2838

Home History
  • The area was platted in 1847 by John Clark and Thomas Jay, the house sits on Lot # 205 76 (76’ by 149’). The two story brick house was built circa 1862 John Clark had a preference for brick homes.
  • The first owners were Eve Johnson and Mary Nace. In 1866, the house was owned by Mordecai Clark, he was John Clark’s son.
  • In 1919, the house was owned by the Abraham Taylor family. Abraham was married to Lula Nunlist, the daughter of the City Hotel owner, John Nunlist. Alden Sampson III, owner of the car that won the 1928 Indianapolis 500, lived with the Taylor’s when he resided in Tipp City.
  • The home has undergone several updates over the years, the most recent being in 2015 when Ben Mosier extensively renovated the house. All new windows were added, a new modern kitchen added, and the original pine floors refinished.
  • The Alvarado’s purchased the home in May of 2016. Guustie is an artist specializing in glass. Many of her works are displayed in the home, including her stained glass in the doors and transom windows.
  • Also featured are works of their son Alexander who works for Disney and has received awards for his work on the Disney film, “Frozen.”

115 N Third Street

The Henninger Home

Molly Williams, Designer
Home History
  • Built in 1920 and has had many owners in the 100 years
  • One of the best known was Dr. Hagerty, a dentist whose office was over the First National Bank on Main Street, which now houses the Coldwater Cafe.
  • In the 1940’s, William and Leota Hoover resided here.  He owned Hoover’s Recreation and bowling alley on Main Street for many years
  • The Dunnick family rented the home from 1944-1951. Mrs. Dunnick created the original Red Devil Sandwich at the family’s sandwich shop on Man at Second Street
  • The Heninger’s bought the home in 2016 and was drawn to the home by the stained glass windows, hardwood floors, staircase and from porch

105 N Third Street

The Krammer Home

Diana Begley, Designer

kinbeg@gmail.com c: 937-974-3986

Home History
  • Built in 1872 by Mordecai and Elizabeth Clark
  • Mordecai was one of eight children of Tippecanoe City’s founder, John Clark
  • Dr. Albert Hagery, a dentist, purchased the house in 1910 and built the house next door at 115 in 1920
  • Since he owned both properties, he built one garage that straddles both properties and is still shared today
  • The Second staircase from the kitchen served as the servant’s passage to a third bedroom, separated from the front owner’s part of home
  • the home was flipped in 2015 by Ben Mosier, owner True North Group, as well as the home at 21 E. Walnut, also featured on the tour
  • Current owners The Krammers loves the proximity to downtown, her friendly neighbors, the uniqueness of the home, original porch pilasters, and hardwood floors throughout the home and interior woodwork

31 W Walnut Street

The McKenzie Home

Anne Rettig, Designer

rettiganne@yahoo.com c: 937-286-3365

Home History
  • Completely rebuilt in 2014 following a fire that destroyed the previous home
  • The Elrods, owners at that time, combined a traditional exterior that fit the setting with a modern open floor plan inside for the replacement
  • Purchased by the McKenzies in August of this year enjoy the great room which allows them to keep and eye on their four-year-old son
  • New construction also allowed for a flood of sunshine on nice days
  • Of particular note is a pond in the backyard built from the foundation stones of the original house
  • The McKenzies love living in a home close to historic downtown and the option to walk to football games, community nights and Harrison’s for “wing night”